Thursday, February 17, 2011

The other day,I conquered the Salvation Army on Boulder Highway. Most people know about Salvation Army and the fact that most Salvation Armys close at 5pm or 6. What most people don't know about is how much of a dumpy piece of shit Boulder Highway is. You can practically smell the meth cooking and the sweat dripping off the cooze of streetwalkers.

This trip to Salvation Army (my first in years at the Boulder location) proved to be better than most my thrift store visits as of late. Stacks and stacks of Grieg records and Johnny Mathis LPs and in the midst I see a soundtrack to a movie "Savage Streets". The cover struck a familiar tone in my brain because about a month prior,I had done the research on the sample of one of my favorite post-Ironman Ghostface Killah tracks "Blue Armor". More Fish (and the next,Fried Fish) were pretty expendable with the exception of Blue Armor and Street Opera,even the DOOM produced tracks fair'd better when I heard them on Special Herbs. Blue Armor was a cold,cold track though. The grit was at an all time high,and if you know me you know I like my Hip-Hop gritty. This sample was very peculiar. It reeked of '80s flare and debonaire. Those synths are unmistakeably '80s. Found out it was a song called "Innocent Hearts" from the soundtrack "Savage Streets". BINGO. All of that hit my brain like crashing waves within seconds of seeing Linda Blair on the cover. Promo stamp on the cover,great condition. Slip the record,great fucking condition. $1.00 tag don't phase me,even though most Salvation Army stores price their records at .50 cents. WHATEVER. Dig the rest,bunch of bullshit. Peep the tapes,a copy of "In God We Trust",my personal favorite Brand Nubian record. Marked .50 with a yellow tag...yellow tags are 75% off. Cool ass lady didn't even charge me,WHO COULD BLAME HER?? Upon Gemm and Discogs research,I come to the conclusion that this record is pretty rare. I saw $30 US American dollars, 22 euros,wow. Good score!

I have had some substantial luck digging at thrift stores. Granted you have to dig 1000x for every 2 or 3 dope jams you find,it's balanced when you're spending .50-$1.00 a title. I've found some gnarly shit. Mint-fucking-fresh-ass copy of "Something To Write Home About" by Get Up Kids (on Doghouse,not reissue bullshit) at a Deseret Industries for 25 FUCKING CENTS. At a Goodwill,I kept digging up sweet ass Electro 12"s such as Freestyle "Don't Stop The Rock", Planet Patrol "Play At Your Own Risk", Mantronix, a bunch of gnarly shit. King T 12"s. Brotha Lynch Hung 12"s. Akinyele 12"s. 50 cents,plus half off. Pennies on the dollar. I've found Tom Waits and 3 War records for at a different Goodwill on a day where it was 5/1.00. Burning Spear records at an Arizona Goodwill for 50 cents. Motorhead "Ace Of Spades",Green River, Dinosaur Jr, Big Black, Eek-A-Mouse, Pato Banton, all at Savers in one sitting.

I have still yet to come up on a sweet Metal lot at one of these,but then again I'm inconsistent at being the asshole that shows up every day "scrounging around bleachers looking for ass". I wouldn't recommend this to anyone reading out there, that would just throw salt in my game. I don't want you jerks digging in my stores ganking my shit. Fuck that!

INCOMING RECORDS

Impaled Nazarene "Rapture"
Absu "In The Eyes Of Ioldanach"
Le Scrawl "Too Short To Ignore"
Iron Lung "Demonstrations In Pressure And Volume
Agents Of Abhorrence "Character Dissection"
Thou/The City Is The Tower Split
The Afternoon Gentlemen/OSK Split
The Afternoon Gentlemen "The Cider Chronicles" tape
Keitzer/Das Krill Split
Anhedonist "The Drear" tape
Corrupted "La Guerra 1997" tape
Warzone "Lower East Side"
Deadguy "Screamin' With The Deadguy Quintet"
Despise You "PCP Scapegoat"
Despise You/Crom Split
Despise You/Stapled Shut Split
Despise You/Supression Split
V/A "Freak Power" Compilation
Ulcer/Capitalist Casualties Split
Half Gorilla "Graceless Beasts"
25 Ta Life "Keepin' It Real" tape
Spazz/Floor Split
Floor "Madonna"
Boris/Tomsk-7 Split
Eyehategod "Ruptured Heart Theory"
Charles Bronson/Ice Nine Split
V/A "Loud & Ugly Vol. 2" Compilation
Knuckle Scraper "R.I.P."
Uzi Suicide "Comin' At Ya"
Uzi Suicide/PLF Split
Magrudergrind/A Warm Gun Split
Magrudergrind/Sylvester Staline Split
Trap Them "Cunt Heir To The Throne"
Punch "Eyeless"
Barghest "Demo" tape
AMONG OTHERS...

No comments:

Post a Comment